Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Nutritional Health Handbook for Women

This book The Nutritional Health Handbook for Women by Marilyn Glenville is a superb example of the impacts that our food has on our bodies. Especially women's hormones, imbalances in these are associated with some forms of cancers and other disease states that seem to be on the rise within our society today.
In this book Marilyn looks at certain habits that can be incorporated into the lives of women that have a positive effect on the prevalence of certain disease states, and also have an impact on the general wellbeing of women.

For example, I have always enjoyed soy milk and soya beans, but I was reluctant to continue with drinking soy milk as I had heard that this can interfere with the production and distribution of thyroid hormones which can have negative impacts on your health, such as tiredness, increased weight etc. So I stopped using this milk for my coffees. But from reading this book I have been made aware that while there has been some evidence that there are negative effects of soya on the body this research has been done on animal subjects, not humans and they have been fed raw soya for a long term period. A lot of these studies have been focused on the soya protein isolate (therefore not the whole soya plant just part of it).

Eating soya products is good for you. Eating them in their traditional form such as soya beans, and soy milk has shown to have a positive impact on the under and over production of the female hormone oestrogen. The photoestrogens that are present within soya products have found to have a balancing effect on our hormones.

I am now back on enjoying soy milk in my coffees. I don't drink one everyday but when I do I am happy to think that I have made a choice that will hopefully have a positive impact on my health. I have sometimes found that I have been extremely lacking in energy. Especially recently and I am on a self discovery mission as to why and how I can gain my energy back.

I do recommend this book to read if you do have some issues with women's health problems. It does go in depth about a lot of problems that are associated with women such as menopause, infertility, painful periods and over/underweight problems.

But I was more interested in the first few chapters that looked into the foundation of a good diet for women, and certain things to include and avoid. This was where I found the most relevant information for me. But that is because I don't have any of the other issues that are mentioned, I was reading this book for the general overview on a diet that helps women.

As I continue to study Dietetics I am fascinated and awed but just how much the food we eat can impact our health and bodies. I truly believe that eating a diet that is varied and is made from wholesome and natural foods is the only way to stay healthy. It has become near impossible to eat foods that do not contain any laboratory nasties (such as additives, preservatives and chemicals). And we wonder why there has been such a steady increase in allergies and non-communicable disease within the last century.

The proofs in the pudding so to speak. I was in hospital recently for a minor operation on my wrist and the nurse asked me what I was studying, when I said I was studying to be a dietician she asked me why there was such an increase in the rate of children with allergies? She went on to tell me about the difference in paperwork for the older people having surgery and the infants and toddlers. She is right, why is there such a major increase in the prevalence of children with gluten intolerance? Or allergies to peanuts than there was 40 years ago?

These are some of the questions that we should be asking ourselves. Otherwise the incidence will continue to increase as time goes on. What are your thoughts? How do you begin to eat in a better, more natural way than what is out there?

I hope you have an uplifting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment