Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wheat Intolerance

I started noticing lately how under the weather I was and how my tummy hadn't been feeling quite right for a while. So I decided to keep a food diary for the next few days to see if I could work out if there was a common element to my meals that may be accountable for making me feel yuck.

When I say I felt yuck I mean that I was bloated, I felt full of gas, I have abdominal cramps and just felt absolutely rotten. I knew that there was something wrong with me. So I wrote down everything. 

Unfortunately for me it was over the Easter long weekend that my tummy problems really got the better of me. I just didn't know what to do. Driving in the car on the way home from visiting my sister I had 3 snakes and a short time after was overwhelmed by the cramps in my belly. I looked at the ingredient list to see what I might be reacting to and one word caught my attention for all the wrong reasons: WHEAT

No. I definitely don't want to have an intolerance to an ingredient. I like food too much to have to not eat things I love. No. I don't believe it. It can't be.

Well it was..

Once I got home I furiously googled everything I could on wheat, gluten, allergies, intolerances anything I could get my hands on. And I started to see symptoms that I have been having. Strange rashes that wouldn't leave even after I had stopped using everything but water on my skin. Low energy. Migraines that I hadn't had before. 

These were some of the things people talked about when they wrote of their experiences. Oh no!

So now I have decided to take the leap and go wheat free for the time being to see if it clears up my symptoms. Now I realise that I have not been diagnosed with a wheat intolerance and yes it could be anything else but at the moment this is what I am doing to try and get some knowledge about what my body is freaking out.

So I have been reading all over gluten free blogs for recipes and am excited by the idea that there are so many things that I can still eat and enjoy. I did think that the food choices were going to be limited but thankfully because there are more and more people discovering their aversion to wheat there are so many products out there.

Does anyone know of some good recipes I can try? 

This whole experience has made me realise again just how important what we put into our bodies is for our well being and health. 

So from now on I will be bringing you along on the ride with me to see how living without wheat it... I do really hope its a good ride and not one of those ones where it looks fun when your in the line and then you scream with terror the whole time your on it. 

No I definitely don't want it to be one of those rides. 

So heres to an uplifting ride!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    As a student the other day we had a class on intolerances etc. and we learnt that if a patient says they have symptoms such as yours they should see a dietitian and have the hydrogen test to work out if they are intolerant of coeliac. If you remove wheat (containing gluten) from your diet it makes it difficult for the test to work, so you may work out you might be intolerant and then have to go back on a gluten containing diet before doing the test, which as I have heard is awful!!
    Just something to think about :)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did think about that Steph. It is just a start to see how I do feel without it in my diet. Now that I know that I do feel better I have come to terms with the fact that I will be eating wheat again this week and making an appointment for the following week. Thank you so much for your comment though, I appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete